Tuesday, February 9, 2010

bench3

Fix Live Audio Delay | Latency Mis-Match | Audio Mis-Match In Windows Seven

For few who are using windows 7 has a problem with live recording. Microphone input may have a delay of 500ms to 1s when recording. This is most notable in apps like Ventrilo.

Here is your solution:
Download the driver from this location and installed it.
Restart the machine, and when restarting, a new utility will pop up and you will be  able  to regain control of your inputs in real time.
Its the same Realtek HD drivers most should already have, I guess. Windows Seven can't smell C-Media sound card if you don't install the C-Media drivers, unlike the Realtek, that was already installed and working (the wrong way) at first  while setting up Windows Seven. So, the best option can be to get rid of Windows Seven sound manager and try to configure everything from, and only from, the Realtek manager.
So the first guide is don't try to configure anything from the Windows Seven audio manager and use only the own sound card manager. Don't even think to select the box "listen to this device". Run away as fast as you can from the Windows Seven audio manager, because it will up everything. I had done this with in my pc with Realtek integrated card, but I suppose this might work also for any other sound card with it's own audio manager.

Try to follow the steps and see if it works!
- Step 1, download and install (uninstalling the old ones first) the latest drivers available for your sound card, if possible, from the manufacturer's site.

- Step 2, it's very important that you change the Control Panel view from "Categories" to "Large Icons". You'll see why later. A couple of captures in case you don't know where to look.

- Step 3, go to Control Panel-Sound and click on "Recording" tab (or right click on the speaker icon at the systray and choose "Recording devices"). Look for the line-in or mic giving trouble and double click on it to open its properties window. Then click on the "Listen" tab. Once there, uncheck the "listen to this device" box and make sure that you've selected the default playback device.
- Step 4, click on the Playback tab and make sure that your sound card is set as default playback device properly. For instance:

- Step 5, click on "apply", "ok" and get out of there.

- Step 6, open the Control Panel and try to find your sound card audio manager. That's why is so important to change the view from categories to large (or small, anyway) icons. In the categories view you will never find it, but in the large icons view should appear. In my case, if you look again at the second image, it appears under the name "Realtech audio manager.

Whatever sound card you have, the audio manager should be there. Double click on the icon to open the sound card audio manager. First of all, click on the "device advanced settings" and select "separate all input jacks as independent devices".
The manager window will fade for a few seconds and then you should be able to configure every device separately, line in or mic, and adjusting the recording and playback volumes for each. Then click "Ok" and that's all, folks.

For the C-Media sound card it's even easier, because everything can be configured in the same window.
And that way, you can get rid of the lag in both sound cards with both line in and mic, playback or recording. The problem persists, although, if your mic or line in device is USB, because the sound card doesn't recognize it (unless your sound card have a USB connector) and the only way to configure it is by Windows 7 audio manager.

If the above hints works for you, come back and say thanks (or at least "it works!"), and if it doesn't, come back and say "not for me".

Otherwise it's like nobody is reading, just coming here and whining. And almost nobody is saying which sound card they have, for example, which makes it very difficult to find an specific solution. So, there we go again.

bench3

About bench3 -

Haja Peer Mohamed H, Software Engineer by profession, Author, Founder and CEO of "bench3" you can connect with me on Twitter , Facebook and also onGoogle+

44 comments

Write comments
August 2, 2010 at 3:50 AM delete

it didn't seem to work for me, I didn't have the listen tab for the mic, plus the issue I'm trying to solve is a Latency in MIDI recording and I just can't seem to find where those options are

September 3, 2010 at 10:45 AM delete

USB mic input.;/ but thanks

October 27, 2010 at 10:21 PM delete

Hey, thanks very much for this, the only post on the internet that actually knew what my problem was and knew how to fix it. I was just about to shell out for a new sound card and everything.

bench3.com
October 28, 2010 at 8:34 AM delete

its nice that it worked for you. Thanks for sharing your comments!

December 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM delete

Thank you!

January 4, 2011 at 2:23 PM delete

Not work for me

when i open the control panel in large or small icons, i can't find any Realtech audio manager.

Don't know where goes wrong. I'm using laptop HP Probook 4421

January 30, 2011 at 3:11 AM delete

It worked for playback delay but not for recording delay. I dont know what can I do anymore. And the Realtek audio manager was in the hidden bottom/right icons for me (win7 64 ult). Thanks anyway!

bench3.com
January 30, 2011 at 11:28 AM delete

Taskbar icons will be hidden when its not used often despite of the Version of OS we are using. Nice that it works for you!

February 9, 2011 at 9:15 AM delete

i did everything as said in this post, but i can't hear anything, i just installed R257 drivers and everything is the same.. i can only hear my voice when i enable listen to this device, but with a lag.. any ideas?

Klyster
February 17, 2011 at 3:41 AM delete

Hey Haja Peer,

Thank you very much for solving my problem. Windows 7 is not always the most transparant system....... i tried many fora, but this is the only solution for me to record live guitar..... Thanx again.....

February 19, 2011 at 5:06 AM delete

Can you please do a guide for IDT soundcard aswell? This only works for Windows 7 with REALTEK cards. Keep this in mind people. NOT FOR IDT!

Maxxuelsu
February 28, 2011 at 1:21 AM delete

Thaanks maaaaan
really
I was thinking nothing would solve my problem, I searched everywhere for like 2 months and found nothing
I really apretiate your help
thanks again!!!

March 11, 2011 at 9:01 AM delete

This doesn't help. If I uncheck the listen to this device, how am I supposed to hear what I'm doing? yes it gets rid of the delay, but I fail to see how this is a fix for anything. Genius!

2Fresh
March 15, 2011 at 12:27 AM delete

I thought I had the same problem as the "gentleman"in the comment above (but I wasn't gonna be a prick about it like he was) until I clicked the Microphone Boost button in the Realtek Audio Manager and set it to +30 dB. Then the mic came through loud and clear without ANY perceptible delay.
Clicking "listen to this device" in the Windows Audio Manager then brought back lots of delay and feedback.

Finally after a year of their dad struggling with the mic my kids can sing their karaoke again...

Thank you very much for this helpful info!

w7New
April 7, 2011 at 11:41 PM delete

Thank you very much for this helpful info (especially the screenshots). I have the exact setup: W7, Onboard Realtek HDMI audio. I followed the above instructions and for a second, I thought it was going to work when Realtek sound manager started refreshing when I did the 'device advanced setting' setup. But sadly, it didn't work for me. I don't know what to do. I can record my microphone audio using sound recorder but the sound doesn't come out of my tv speakers connected through HDMI. Audio playback works fine as well but live audio doesn't work.

April 10, 2011 at 6:05 AM delete

Works for me thank you very much!!

April 12, 2011 at 7:42 AM delete

It didin't work for me! I have the Realtek ALC268 that uses the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (in theory the same that's on the image), I downloaded the latest drivers but the option "device advanced settings" doesn't appear in my computer.

April 13, 2011 at 8:25 PM delete

It didn't work for me! W7 + Realtek ALC892 that uses Realtek ATI HDMI High Def Audio Driver. PC connects to TV via HDMI for video and sound. I have device advanced settings in the sound manager but it didn't work. I installed latest audio codec version 2.58 from Realtek website.

May 6, 2011 at 1:21 PM delete

I, like others, have been searching for a solution for this - without luck, so far. I suspect it would require patching of the Windows 7 sound architecture.

The instructions presented here (enabling/unmuting the playback of the Mic, instead of using the recording devices 'feedback' functionality) will only work if your INPUT and OUTPUT are being handled by the same device - ie, the realtek/built-in sound card.

If either your input or your output uses a seperate sound device, or is USB - these instructions won't help you.

The delay is caused due to (presumably buffered) process of sampling audio from one device, and sending it to the mixer of the other device. The buffering is probably present to prevent stuttering due to small bursts of system load etc. I haven't found a way to reduce the buffer size or switch it to 'real-time' sampling.

The reason the built-in realtek (etc) cards can do no-latency feedback is due to an internal mechnism (the soundcard feeds the analog input directly back into the output, without involving windows)

In summary; the only way to really work around this appears to be to use non-USB devices, and ensure your mic and speakers are hooked up to the same soundcard and to use that soundcards 'listen' features.

May 6, 2011 at 1:24 PM delete

Incidentally - this only became a problem for me recently when I purchased a FubarIII headphone DAC/AMP - the unit is a USB speaker device. My mic has always been an analog mic plugged into the built-in realtek sound-card. Obviously this problem only occurs (for me) when playing audio back through the Fubar.

June 30, 2011 at 3:12 AM delete

I installed the latest Realtek 6.0.1 but I have no advanced controls? Are there any older drivers or alternative drivers with these settings?? Please answear. I have some good music i want ro record!

July 1, 2011 at 11:20 PM delete

No, there is no older drivers or something like that, if this issue happens to you most recently, you can also try to restore to the most successful point using System restore

October 8, 2011 at 9:44 PM delete

Woerks for me - many thanks!

Bhavika
October 16, 2011 at 6:40 AM delete

Thanks for so much information !!

I have one question though.. I have a external mic and I want to listen to it from my computer speakers for karoke.. I can now do it, but with "listen to device" checked !! .. You said we need to uncheck it, if I uncheck I cannot hear my voice.. Whats the way ?

Thanks

October 19, 2011 at 6:04 PM delete

I have Realtek HD. I came to step 6 but there was no "device advanced settings".

I clicked on the microphone tab and raised the "playback volume" (I think that's what it's called, in Swedish it's "uppspelningsvolym".) And that's when it stopped delaying.

I think the problem was that when I "listened to this device" it was playing back indirectly through what was being "recorded" (even though I wasn't recording anything) instead of playing back directly what was playing into the mic. So "listen to this device" should be unchecked as said in step 3.

October 19, 2011 at 8:04 PM delete

Did u make it work that way? if you did thats fine...

November 11, 2011 at 8:44 AM delete

YEEEEESSSS! YOU ARE MAN!!! THANKS A MILLION! WHAT A RELIEF!!

GooderGuy
November 20, 2011 at 10:04 AM delete

Thanks a lot man, it worked for me too, though I didn't have the advanced options as shown, just installing the drive fixed my whole problem with latency and now I can play guitar along with music or Cubase. So I'm still debating telling my wife about it so she can fix that same problem with her laptop and do Karaoke again, hmmm, what to do?

November 22, 2011 at 11:20 PM delete

DID NOT WORK FOR ME; I DO NOT SEE AN AUDIO MANAGER TAB ANYWHERE-I EVEN SEARCHED FOR IT;I DO NOT HAVE MUCH CHOICE BUT TO INSTALL XP. I WILL TRY CALLING IN BEFORE I INSTALL XP THO. I AM GLAD TO KNOW IT IS NOT THE PROGRAM OR ANYTHING ELSE; THIS IS HORRIBLE.

December 1, 2011 at 9:57 AM delete

thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much! you are amazing

God bless

January 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM delete

IT WORKED!!! :D Ty ty ty!

and..

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU microsoft.

Bruno
January 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM delete

MANN !!! YOU ARE GOD SENT !!! CRAZYYY !!! THIS IS INSANE !! GOD BLESS U BROTHAA WITH ALL UR FUTURE PLANS !!! =D THANX AGAIN ND AGAIN ND AGAIN !!! m so dammn excited !!! plz lemme knoe if u can " Can i record using the line in jack and the mic at front panel simultaneously ???... nd how... thnx DUDE !!

January 17, 2012 at 7:44 PM delete

Bruno, simultaneously ? I have not tried it. But you can try using two different applications each one pointing to different input .. Try!

And thanks for your comments on bench3

Mike
January 26, 2012 at 9:57 AM delete

Sir you are a genius! I followed all steps just as you said and it worked perfect for me. Thank you very much for taking the time to write this down. My Karaoke is back to life!

PUGS63
February 11, 2012 at 6:43 PM delete

Can anyone help with a UX2 and Live 7 input and output settings there is a nuwanted delay when recording.

What driver should I use and basics

March 1, 2012 at 3:46 AM delete

Works as a charm.
thank you so much!

April 23, 2012 at 10:06 AM delete

Dell Precision T1600 with Realtek onboard. Had problem, used this driver - no problem.

Thankyou Sir(s).

Dario
June 15, 2012 at 3:47 PM delete

Hello,

opening the given link it does not download anything. Can you check up another download link for it?

PS
on the linked site I searched manually but I could just find this realtek driver

June 21, 2012 at 9:31 PM delete

Yahoo!
It works!!!!!!!!!!=)))))
Thank so much!=)))))

June 21, 2012 at 10:21 PM delete

Thanks that it worked for you!!!!

January 24, 2015 at 10:41 PM delete

That worked. I actually hooked up my guitar processor to my onboard soundcard with no delay in the sound. Exactly what I needed. You made my day mate, thank you.

March 31, 2015 at 8:03 AM delete

I have the Realtek Sound Card and Win 7, and we have an amp with 4 wireless mics attached, going through the computer and out into a speaker, and going through the list and getting down to the "separate all input jacks as independent devices" and it worked like a charm. Went from 1s delay to beautiful instant sound. Thank you!

May 26, 2015 at 8:22 PM delete

IT WORKS, thanks man. I was searching for hours to fix this .... and the answer is so easy

January 4, 2016 at 9:27 AM delete

Didnt work for me at first but then I raised the playback volume in the Realtek audio manager line in tab and gleefully heard my guitar in real time, some people may of overlooked this, i almost did :D