One year after the official release of Office 2010, Office 2010 Service Pack 1is finally available for download. Microsoft has released the SP1 for Office 2010 product and the download links are live at Microsoft Download center.
Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2460049) contains new updates which improve security, performance, and stability. Additionally, the SP is a roll-up of all previously released updates.
Benefits Of Installing Office 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1):
Office 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1) brings stability, performance and security enhancements to the Office suite. According to the official Office updates blog, Service Pack 1 includes many interesting changes.
Here is the direct link for you:
Changes In Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1):
- Improved backup / restore functionality for SharePoint Server
- Site Recycle Bin functionality for SharePoint 2010
- The Word Web Application extends printing support to “Edit Mode”
- Proofing Tools improve spelling suggestions in Canadian English, French, Swedish and European Portuguese
- Better alignment between Project Server and SharePoint Server browser support
- Outlook Web Application Attachment Preview (with Exchange Online only)
- Outlook fixes an issue where “Snooze Time” would not reset between appointments.
- Support for searching PPSX files in Search Server
- Project Professional now synchronizes scheduled tasks with SharePoint task lists.
- Integrated community content in the Access Application Part Gallery
- Visio Fixes scaling issues and arrowhead rendering errors with SVG export
- The default behavior for PowerPoint “Use Presenter View” option changed to display the slide show on the secondary monitor
- Internet Explorer 9 “Native” support for Office Web Applications and SharePoint
- Office Web Applications Support for Chrome
- Inserting Charts into Excel Workbooks using Excel Web Application
Microsoft is not going to include a list of every single bug/issue that they fixed. As said above, their Service Pack is a roll-up of all previously released updates. It means that the service pack includes all hotfixes released to date. Both those released publically (ie. Windows update) and those only available on request.
Please note that this is not a slipstreamed installation, it simply chains the updater to the end of the install routine. A slipstream would integrate the SP1 files into the CAB archives so that the files would only be installed once, saving time. This update is only when you have already installed Office 2010 Application in your system.
How To Install Service Pack for Microsoft Office 2010:
If you have Microsoft Office 2010, 32-Bit Edition, do one of the following:
- Use Microsoft Update (recommended). Microsoft Update consolidates updates provided by Windows Update and Office Update into one location and enables you to choose automatic delivery and installation of high-priority updates.
- Install Service Pack for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2460049) 32-bit Edition. To do this, follow these steps:
- Download the .exe file from the above location (32Bit or 64Bit depending upon your Office Edition) and then save the file to your hard disk drive.
- It is recommended that you quit any programs you are running.
- In Windows Explorer, double-click the .exe file that you saved to your hard disk drive, and follow the instructions on the screen.The download size of x86 version is 361 MB and x64 version is 439 MB.