Here is Sony Ericsson’s next Android smartphone, the Xperia Arc. Packing the latest version of Android in a sleek, curvy body with a quality 8 megapixel camera and a 4.2-inch Reality Display, the Xperia Arc was a fine all-round device. And it is about $ 600 in US.
Sony Ericsson has launched the device stateside in a SIM-free version. The unlocked Xperia Arc will set you back by $600, which is fair considering the specs of the device.
Most of us will like the design and the software of the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc better than any of the previous version of Sony Ericsson mobiles. As for the screen, Arc has better outside visibility.
If you want to compare Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc with Samsung Galaxy II or the iPhone,
I can say that Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc Looks great. It has a great shape and Samsung having more advantage on speed, huge screen, better display as it has bigger screen and comes with full HD 1080p video recorder. Shape wise, Arc wins. Battery wise, iphone4 wins.
One should never forget that Samsung Galaxy S II runs on Dual-core 1.2GHz ARM. Where as Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc runs on 1.GHz Scorpion processor. The performance depends on the CPU. And again, the CPU depends on what you pay for it. Dual core means, it consumes dual the power of your battery. And that is one reason we can say that Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc consumes less power than other smart phones running on Dual Core.
But, no one really needs a dual core smartphone when a single core is enough. Sony always had better sound than any other mobile. The arc as a good battery performance for its range, the camera is on of the best and the first to have retro-illuminated sensor.
Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc has the best screens with great looking colors' and nice resolution and not useless stuff as high contrast or high viewing angles.
There is already an update available for Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc from 2.3.2 to 2.3.3 And when you upgrade you will get the following benefits or changes from the previous version.
- You can know how many unread messages you have even before unlocking the phone. That is, when you press the power button on top to turn on the screen and before swiping the screen to unlock.
- A new icon appears called Media Discovery that shows all the YouTube videos in your Facebook account.
- You will get a new icon named Store. I am not really sure if this was in the previous version or how it was named earlier.
- SIM Toolkit is now available in the Menu
- Facebook integrated.
- TimeScape application and the TimeScape widget were a bit slower on the 2.3.2 but on 2.3.3 it will be bit faster
So, we can say that Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc has the Facebook integration, continuous autofocus during video rec, optimized software, and lots of other customizations.
Screen is also great. AND, AMOLED consumes less power when displaying black colors, while it consumes much more than LCD when displaying white. So in everyday use LCD is still more energy efficient.
It will last around for 8 hours for the first time, with every charge it will increase, it takes around 4-5 charges for a new battery! Lithium battery needs its first charges to get done more often, and to keep you battery last longer, never let it go flat! So, Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc stays for two three days of normal usage.
More over, it runs very smooth and responsive, will never crash as most of the other Smart Phones. As always, Sony Ericsson Xperia has the Good sound quality with headphones and loudspeaker compare to other smartphones!
- Loudspeaker not the loudest but for a good reason, you will never blow it on full volume!
- Amazing sleek design, fits perfectly in your palm.
- Amazing camera despite it is a phone!
- HDMI is outstanding,
- Great games and apps,
- On the market Sony Ericsson have a section suggesting apps which are good and/or only available on Sony Ericsson.
- Good texting and typing and good quality of calling, some extra features which are good such as when sending a text message it will give you a display that the message has been delivered.
Ok, if we want to talk about the negative side of Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc:
- No secondary cam, which means no Video call or video Skype calls. If you don’t care for video calls or face to face chat, then this dis advantage wont bother you much.
- No hot swap memory card, No hot swap SIM card= it's useful to always swap the memory card and SIM card.
- No USB on the go.
- No free GPS maps
- No Bluetooth 3.
- No FM transmitter
- No music equalizer. We can ownload one from the market.
- No USB 2.1. Actually. There is not big diff between 2.0 and 2.1.
- Very small internal memory. That means, we need to store or move most of the applications to the SD Card.
- No wide angle camera lens. This is not a Digital camera to have this.
- No large camera sensor. If we need this, we need to get a professional Sony camera and a zoom lens.
- No gorilla glass screen. But, most users don’t know what it is.
However, its little too heavy for the specifications, but if price does not matter for you, you can go for Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc as it looks better and more mature. Most importantly, check where your phone is made, because there were few complaints that the phone is Made in China, Designed in China and then a High Premium price.
Overall, this is a happy go mobile from Sony Ericsson. It has got fair battery life with a great external look. Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc will be worth for your money.