Internet security is a branch of computer security specifically related to the Internet, often involving browser security but also network security on a more general level as it applies to other applications or operating systems on a whole. Its objective is to establish rules and measures to use against attacks over the Internet.
The Internet represents an insecure channel for exchanging information leading to a high risk of intrusion or fraud, such as phishing. Different methods have been used to protect the transfer of data, including encryption.
The first internet security level is to be cautious in all dealings and understand that many people out there are not as honest as we would like them to be.
Here are 7 Tips to Improve Your Internet Security:
1. Use unique and strong passwords for important accounts.
2. Keep your computer's software updated and protected.
3. Don't open email attachments with suspicious file extensions like •.exe, •.vbs, .pif,or .zzx .
4. Avoid cyber cafes for online shopping/net banking and work.Many cyber cafes have poor security mechanisms. All that you type may get recorded, captured and mailed to hackers
5. Do NOT click on banners and advertisements which say "You have caught a virus,click here for a full system scan" or "You are a Winner". These may be viruses or spyware in disguise.
6. Don't disclose personal information like Mother's Name, Date Of Birth, Credit Card and PAN on chat lines or message boards.
7. Be cautious of whom you befriend on social networks like Facebook, Orkut and Twitter.
Take time to understand the site security settings so that you know what you are sharing with others.
Avoiding giving away personal information of any kind is very important on the Internet. Besides secured pages, you should avoid giving out information about yourself. Also, if you are on a website that looks dubious, you should definitely avoid clicking on anything. This is the type of behaviour that a conscious Internet surfer has in order to avoid problems.
You should definitely be a conscious Internet surfer as many times this will save you a lot of trouble. Money and data loss or even identity theft are the risks associated to Internet security breaches.
Avoiding Internet security problems is not as hard as you might think. You should be aware of the risks and act accordingly. However, you should avoid becoming paranoid because this will make you get a lot of programs that can annihilate one another.