Microsoft will not provide Windows Media Center free of cost in upcoming Windows 8 but you can still use Windows Media Center free of cost currently.
Read this article and follow the given below instructions to use Media Center on Microsoft’s Windows 8 with no additional cost.
Last month Microsoft announced that they are going to remove Media Center from Windows 8 but later they concluded to provide Windows Media Centre separately as a upgrade by charging some money from users.
Removal of Windows Media Center from Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system minimizes the user's space. But on the negative side, we would not be able to watch our favorite Videos, also we will miss the option of recording our favorite TV programs and shows.
Moreover, Windows 8 will offer no built-in way to play DVDs without Media Center, since the new version of Windows Media Player lacks native DVD support (as of now). To watch our favorite DVDs and play media files, we need to buy Windows Media Center separately as an upgrade.
But currently, forgetting about all above, you can still use Windows Media Center in your Windows 8 Release Preview edition by following few simple instructions described below:
How to Enable Media Center in Windows 8 Release Preview
- 1. Goto Metro start menu and move your pointer/ mouse to upper right corner of the screen.
- 2. You will find some charm bars there; you have to select 'Search' among them.
- 3. Enter the word 'add features' in the search box and then tap or click on "Add features to Windows 8" option.
- 4. In "Add features to Windows 8", check on the option for 'I already have a product key'.
- 5. Enter the given below product key on that option, MBFBV-W3DP2-2MVKN-PJCQD-KKTF7
- 6. After entering the product key click on Next button.
- 7. After that accept the license terms of using it and click on add feature.
- 8. Now, you are done. Now your PC will reboot and when you login to your PC next time, you can easily find Windows Media Centre on the Metro start screen of your PC.
Product key for enabling Media Center
The product key given above (MBFBV-W3DP2-2MVKN-PJCQD-KKTF7) is published by Microsoft and it can be used to enable Media Center in Windows 8 Release Preview.
Other Alternates to Windows Media Center
If you do not wish to buy Windows Media Center separately as upgrade then you can run your favorite movies,DVDs and other media files by installing other third party free software's on your Windows 8 computer.