Avira AntiVir PE Antivirus is an free entry-level antivirus that can be used to eliminates many forms of malware, including worms, rootkits and costly dialers.
Avira AntiVir Personal is good and free, except that it always pops up and displays annoying nag advertisement screen which persuades users to upgrade to paid premium edition of Avira product.
The notification message, or rather the pop-up ads, of free edition of Avira Anti-Virus product displayed whenever auto-updater runs to update the anti-virus signature database, which is a daily routine. Thus, the upgrade to Avira AntiVir Premium or Avira Premium Security Suite pop-up notifier window is shown everyday from notification area (system tray).
How to Remove Popup-Nag in "Avira AntiVir PE Antivirus
Method 1: Using Group Policy Editor
Disallow or Disable avnotify.exe From Running or Executing with Local Group Policy Editor
Note! Local Group Policy Editor is only included in some Windows versions. Thus, it works only Windows 2000, Windows XP Professional, Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate Edition and Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate Edition.
- Run GPEdit.msc.
- Navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System.
- Double click on Don’t run specified Windows applications setting.
- Click on Enabled radio button if it’s not yet enabled.
- Click on Show button.
- Type in avnotify.exe in the Value column.
- Click OK when done.
Method 2: (Using Safe Mode)
If the above method did not work for you, try this (Will also work for Windows XP Home and Windows XP Professional)
- 1. Boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly after you restart the computer)
- 2. Log in using the Administrator account
- 3. Go to C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe
- 4. Right-click avnotify.exe-> properties-> security-> advanced
- 5. Under the Permissions folder you will see all of the users. Start with the first user….
- 6. Edit-> Traverse Folder / Execute File-> deny-> ok
- 7. Now perform step 6 for all of the other users-> apply-> yes/ok-> close all open windows
- 8. Reboot the computer into Normal Mode (start-> shutdown-> restart)
Method 3: (Using Local Security Policy) Also Works with windows XP Pro:
1. Start-> Control Panel
2. Administrative tools-> Local security policy
3. Click on Software Restriction Policy-> Action (at the top)-> create new restriction policies
4. Right-click additional rules (on the right side)-> new path rule
5. Click Browse and navigate to c:\program files\Antivir\ and double-click avnotify.exe-> set the security level to Disallowed-> apply-> ok